I like pretty things in my home. I hate plastic tut. I hate ugly licensed product. Advent calendars are a risk area for both of these factors. So, I decided to make my own! And when I say me – I mean my Mini Me’s. Lookey here….
- String – can be any string I went for the super festive look, though I think brown string would also look really nice. Mine is £7.95 Paperchase and there will be loads left over that I will use to stylishly wrap Christmas presents with
- Advent countdown heart shaped clips £2 Tiger (in-store)
- Candy striped bags £1.91 for 50 Amazon
- 2 Willing helpers £Priceless – although I have seen a bag I rather like, so make me an offer..and if it helps – I’ll throw in their clothes too – today, they are wearing Rykiel Enfant knitted dresses from Childrensalon and boots by Step2wo.
- Wrapped chocolates or sweets of your choice we used Celebrations £5 Ocado
- You can lower your dental bills greatly by avoiding chocolate and maybe including rubbers, lip balms etc – however, this will damage your bank balance more…hmmmm decisions decisions…
- Blu Tak (ideally in white if you have white walls!) or sellotape will do
Create a little production line. One pile of bags, one of sweets and one of chocolates or whatever treats you go for.
Add one treat to each bag.
Fold the flap of the bag to around 1/3 of the height of the bag.
Hold this is place with the number clip of your choice. My choice would be a Bounty on December 1st! Well, surely the coconut makes it a healthy option???
Try to nick some of your twin sisters’ choices. Get rebuffed.
Continue until all the bags are filled. Whilst they are busy stuffing the bags – you can stuff your mouth with a load of sneaky chocolates straight out of the tin to sustain this hard work. You need the energy.
You can finish at this point or you can split the bags into batches of 6 and hang them on a piece of string that you hang on the kids’ bedroom wall or as we did it – in the kitchen.
If you do decide to add string I suggest you add the sting under the fold of the bag like this.
And then secure it in place with the clip.
Stick each row on to the wall. I advise adding the Blu Tak not only to the ends of the sting but behind the bags too so that they stay attached to the wall.
Last but not least – wait patiently until December 1st.
Happy Advent Crafting!