Snow snow snow. Sno joke! There’s only so many snow angels you can make, so much TV you can watch. I needed to occupy my girls. So, we did some cooking. OK – not really cooking, creating shall we say. So we made Banana Splits. Sort of.
Here’s what you need:
- Foam Bananas Tesco £1.29 or else Marks and Spencer have them too
- Sprinkles Sainsbury’s 79p
- Dark chocolate Sainsbury’s £2.09
- Cocktail sticks Sainsbury’s £1.10
- Polystyrene block
This is what you do:
- Pour the whole pot of sprinkles into a shallow bowl
- Insert a cocktail stick into the base of each foam banana
- Break up the dark chocolate into a bowl – OK steal just one little chunk
- Place the bowl of chocolate over a saucepan of boiling water and gently stir to melt it. Make sure the bowl does not directly touch the water.
- Lick the spoon. Get a chocolate moustache
- Keep the bowl over the hot water in the saucepan and remove from the heat. Place it next to the sprinkles and bananas
- Pick up a banana by it’s stick and dip half of it into the melted chocolate. Gently tap it on the sides of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate
- Now dip the chocolate part of the banana into the bowl of sprinkles and gently roll it around to cover all the chocolate in sprinkles
- Place the finished goodie to dry by inserting the other end of the cocktail stick into the polystyrene block
- Leave to dry for 20/30 mins
- Deal with the kids’ moaning – ‘when is it ready’ ‘is it ready yet’ blah blah! This passed the time though….
- Once dry you can either eat them with the stick or carefully remove the stick and serve piled high
AND AND AND, if you’re one of those boring dieters or good mothers that don’t really allow their kids to eat so many sweets – you can do the same thing with fresh strawberries. Also YUM.
Look, I’m no Delia or Nigella – I’m a fashionista darlings. But these were easy, quick, fun and pre-occupying so tick tick tick I say.